Monday 28 April 2008

Fear and its manifestations

It is not what is going on around you but what is going on within you that is determining everything you are and everything you will ever accomplish. For that, one would need COURAGE. Like Winston Churchill once said "Courage is rightly considered the foremost of the virtues, for upon it all the others depend."

I had been thinking a lot on this. I was trying to figure out what is that undermines everryone from achieving their goals. What is it that counter-attacks courage so much so that the person is shattered and stripped off his/her self-confidence. Realistically speaking, the opposition of courage has been FEAR. Not since a day or two. Not since a year or a decade. It has been the same since the NOMAD age. Ever since human existed, like a two faced coin and a double edged sword, courage and fear go had in had. The emotion of fear will be and has always been the deadliest enemy to success.It sabotages possibilities and hopes of every individual.

I guess, it all goes with an individuality of a person. Until one is committed, there is a hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creativity, there is an elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills innumerable ideas and splendid plans.

I have always wondered why everyone has a typical pessismitic approach to the concept of fear. I beleive there is a good thing in it. A good thing of all the fears that you hold back. They are all learned. When i was kid, i never had a fear. I was unafraid, had no natural fears, except of falling down and darkness. I could express myself without an ounc eof doubt in my mind, I am sure it is with all as well. But as I grew up, parents, friends, teachers, people around me, all, one by one, began to manifest the power of fear in me. Each had a way of injecting fear in my mind. "Stop", "Get away from there!", "Put that down!!", "You are not supposed to do that" bla bla bla... and it went on..

As a result, at an early age, like any other kid, unknowingly, at my unconscious level, I developed a belief that I was too small to do the things and was probably weak and not yet ready. In other words, I started developing the fear of failure in me, which by the way, has now been tamed well and does not overpower me.

However, before I had even realised, the fear had started manifesting in different forms. Fear of rejection, Fears of disapproval and many more to the agony of my pain. I always beleived in few things. Mild fears of failure and rejection are abslutely good. They can act as a motivation fators for any individual to do what is necessary to succeed. Mild feelings are inadequacy and inferiority can drive a person to become the kind of person that the others will admire and respect. They kinda spur an individual. For example, if the fear of rejection is manifested in a valid consideration for the feelings and opinions of others, it can be helpful to an individual's position. Even the desire to be likede and accepted by others lies at the basis of respect for common courtesy, manners, politeness, and every other societal virtues that probably exist.

I tell myself that I dont have to do anything that I dont want to do and I can do anything that I really want to do. it kinda fills me with self confidence and helps me to take full control of my emotions and also helps me to override my conditional fears.

Like the actor Glen Ford once said, "If you do not do the thing you fear, the fear controls your life." But I like what Ralph Waldo Emerson told. Being a famous poet, what he said makes so much of sense. "Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain"

No comments: