Sunday 22 November 2009

My First Tattoo

For a long time I have been thinking of getting a tattoo done. But the urge to get a tattoo done became more prominent when I watched a television show named Prison Break. It was during this tv show that I realized how much committed one has to be to get a tattoo done. Something that is of prominence in a person's life, that he/she can get it on their skin and live with it for rest of their lives. I think added to that, the person has to be quite courageous. Humans as we are, we tend to walk away from the slightest possible pain.

Several years passed with a thought of getting a tattoo done on me. Seven months back when I realized I was in love, I was quite carried away in it. No regrets whatsoever. I still love the same way. Its more like jumping with both the feet in it. I wanted to get her name tattoed on my arm. The urge was such huge one that I almost ended up getting a tattoo done. But as days passed by, I began realizing that it was not in her best interest for me to get a tattoo done, for I had no idea as to how she would react to this. A part of me was wanting me to give her a surprise by letting her see a tattoo on me that had her name in it. As much romantic as this thought could possibly be, it also involved a possible way of jeopardizing everything that was there between her and me.

I guess, we all need friends for they can really knock your head and bring you back on track. When I had decided to get her name tattooed on my arm, I had a chat with my best friend, Koushik. Him and I share a very unique friendship. Somehow, we both manage to pop up a solution when the mind of the other is filled with questions. Something similar happened. On the day of getting a tattoo done, I had a chat with him and told him about my decision. He plainly denied and rejected my decision and insisted on not doing so. While he had valid reasons, I still was not clear of it. For me, expressing what I feel is very important. After having learnt to suppress it, I have realized that expressing feelings is much honest thing to do. I love her and I wanted to express it in an unconditional manner, hence my decision to get her name tattooed. As much as this thought was good, the essence of my chat with Koushik made me realize something that was beyond my understanding that that point in time.

To get tattooed in any design or a name of the person we love is very easy thing to do. From my point of view, anyone can get a tattoo done. But I realized that there are ways in which a tattoo can be meaningful. Symbols that had some meaning to it, or on a much deeper note, symbols to which both of us could relate to. If there is something that I have learnt to value as much as she does, it is the existence of the supreme entity aka God. So I searched for symbols describing God or for that matter any possible similar symbols. As I searched, I stumbled upon a collection of symbols called as the "Adinkra-symbols". The moment I saw the symbols and came across a symbol for "Supremacy of God", I knew that it was the kind of art I was looking for. However, I wanted to keep my options open. So when I visited the tattoo artist, I saw various books on tattooes in his room, but none impressed me. So I stuck to the one that I liked the most.

It took less than 20 minutes for me to get my tattoo done. Pain was nothing. I guess pain is in the mind and in my mind, there is no pain of any kind. So the pricking of the needle gave me no pain. Infact, I was amazed at the way the tattoo machines work. The way ink is put on the skin, the way the machine pricks. It was a treat to watch my skin penetrated multiple times by the needle, and with every penetration, certain amount of ink was deposited. The experience of getting the tattoo done was indeed good one.

All said and done, I have no regrets of this. Every time I see the tattoo, it instills certain ounce of confidence in me. It makes me happy. More like a connection with supreme entity. I am happy with it.

No comments: