Sunday 10 January 2010

Year 2009 - A year of realizations

It has been a while since I wanted to write this post and every time I felt like writing, there was some or the other event that occurred, which in turn diverted my mind. Its been over a month to be honest.

Soon I will be finishing four working years of my life, a phase of my life that has taught me more lessons than my 16 years of education could ever do. Though year 2005 was my actual entry into the corporate world, due to several unforeseen circumstances, it could not continue to be and hence year 2006 became my entry. New environment, new people, new friends, new challenges, more credit cards, more fun. Somehow, 2006 passed too quickly, without me realizing anything in it. Although, as always, there were several cherishable moments made, somehow, it never taught me anything, or atleast, I thought so.

When I stepped into year 2007, little did I know of what was in store for me. I must say, it was a wake up call for me. Too many events rattled my existence, my approach towards life, my ambitions, infact, everything about me and my life changed in the year 2007. Lets say, for now atleast, that 2007 was the turning point of my life. From a boy who was working and earning, I became a man who began earning. Sometimes, for a guy, certain tragic events should take place to grow up to be a man and that is precisely what happened in 2007.

With what had happened in 2007, that December, I decided that no matter what happens from now onwards, every December, I would dedicate the last two weeks in going through the entire year that had passed, marking key events or more so, milestones, lessons that I had learnt and later, give myself realistic resolutions, which when achieved, would elate me with confidence. Thus began the resolution exercise, which now has become a ritual. Instead of giving myself a resolution to last an entire year, I give myself targets to be achieved every quarter. I dont know what the year holds for me, but for sure, the events that happen to me now will have influence over me for few months and hence my exercise. More often that I thought, I met my resolutions. With that said, as I entered 2008, life had stored too many challenging events, hectic work life, great moments with friends, in short, year 2008 was one of the best years of my life. To much of knowledge was gained and a lot of happiness was shared as well.

So there I was, with 2006 vanishing without anything left, and 2007 rattling me completely, 2008 filled me with knowledge. As much as I did not want to anticipate or hope or expect what 2009 would be like, a lot of permutations and combinations began in my mind. Sometimes, we have to wait longer than we think to know the bigger picture, for events are like dots and over a period of time, when you start connecting the dots, you get to know what the picture is. So as the year was coming to an end, it occurred to be that year 2009 was the year of realization. Life often throws surprises at us and at times we need to take a leap of faith. For me, year 209 involved taking several leaps. From an atheist, I began praying to God, from inhumane to emotions, I began feeling and living them, I once again began loving, wrote my first ever love letter and what not. The last week that was spent at Goa made me do all that I always wanted to do, swim in the ocean at night, parasail in a full moon light, with moonlight reflecting on the waves in the ocean, go on motor boats and feel the waves, get drunk by the ocean at night, lie down on the beach and look at the sky and feel the breeze, bond with total strangers, save people from drowning (yes, I saved two people), experience death to find a new love for life. I almost drowned saving one of my friend, and at that moment, in those few seconds, my entire life flashed and all I could think of was meeting the one I loved, to meet her. Somehow, at that moment, energy that had emptied me filled me again and the urge to be with her filled me so much that when I had lost the hope, and felt my lungs filling with water, I began swimming to the shore.

So here I am, in my year 2010, thinking about all that has gone by, and all that has had effect on me. Life for me, has come a long way from where it started.

No comments: