Monday 18 January 2010

The run

There are times when we often tend look back to the lives we have lived and smile, and at times, we also tend to have those few moments when we have tears in our eyes while we think of memories.

My memories took me over 12 years back. It was the time in school, late school days actually. My brother and I were living as 'paying guests' at the principal's home. He had a two daughters and a son. The son was youngest. His name was Kiran. He was around seven years elder to me. He took care of us, ensured we all did our scheduled work, taught us many things, from cycling, to chasing our dreams, most importantly, being what we truly were. He taught us how to iron clothes, how to wash clothes, sweep and mop the floor, in short, he taught us how to be independent. So while I began recollecting all the time spent, I remembered him saying the most important thing that literally changed the way I looked and perceived things. One fine day, when we were having a casual conversation, he told us, "No matter what happens tomorrow to you all, you will know one thing for sure. School days are the best days in our life. So enjoy them to the maximum. Just let yourself free and make so many memories that no matter how much you speak of them, you will never run out of them. Just enjoy these days for they will never come back."

Those words still resonate in my ears and my mind and to this day, I still miss my school days. I participated in sports, extra curricular activities like singing, painting, knitting, extempore speeches, debates, writing, dancing and everything that I could possibly involve myself in. The only thing I had in my my mind back then was to participate in as many events as possible and enjoy as much as possible. The certificates just kept flowing in, never really bothered.

I remember one particular instance, which to this day, fills me with confidence. It was in 1998. We had to participate in Taluk level sports held at Nehru Stadium in Hubli. My sports teacher had enrolled me for 1500 mts running. I was excited, little did I know what was in store.

When the gun was fired, while everyone began running, I would rather say they began jogging, I ran as fast as I could. They all were jogging. I finished first round of the stadium, it was of 400 mts. I began feeling tired. My pace reduced and it kept reducing further down. When I was about to finish the second round, all the guys began over taking me. The more faster I tried to run, the more tired I became. I began sweating, panicking and my heart began throbbing. Somehow, I managed to finish the second round. While I began running for the third round, all of them had finished the third round and were going for the closure. I finished third round and all had finished the race. I still had 300 mts to run. My steps had become very small and my pace had become very slow. It was more like a walk than a run.

I began looking at the people sitting in the stands. They were screaming at me to stop running and walk out of the track. One coach did come to me and said 'Mithun, you can stop now. All have stopped running." I looked at him and smiled, and said "I will finish this, for I started it and I want to finish it." Everyone began laughing at me, some threw bottles at me too. All I could think of was to reach that finishing line. At that moment, I was tired. Real tired, dehydrated, legs feeling a lot heavier and body even more heavier. But, somehow, I was filled with an energy, to cross the finish line. My steps began to grow and my pace began to increase. I had slowly begun running from almost walking. I ran. I ran. I just ran. When I crossed the finish line, I was more happy that I could have been had I won the race.

While there still was a thought in my mind what people laughed at me and will continue to ridicule me, little did I know what was to happen. All the coaches of various schools, all the judges, took me as an example to tell them all, I mean all of them who were there at that moment, that no matter how tired you were, how people reacted to you, or how much fun they made of you, never stop what you have set yourself for. You might reach there later than all, but nevertheless, you will reach. That is a sign of a winner. Many people came and wished me congratulations for completing the race. My perception of races in life was changed at that moment. I went to sit with my friends from school and random boys and girls walked to me and said "Hey you are the same guy who struggled to finish but nevertheless finished the race right?", to which I smiled and said "Yes, its me.". This was usually followed by them saying "On the entire track, you were the only one running and everyone waited for you to finish. It is something we never get to see." I just smiled.

So there I was, a changed man, with a new view about challenges that life throws at us. I might not find a solution to a problem now, I might not find an answer to a question now, however, in the long run, I always will. I realized that life was not a 100mts race. It was more like a marathon. Those who begin fast, run fast at the beginning, never usually complete the race. Most of them give up. Many do. But those who plan their run, run slow at the start, increase the pace and finish it off in style. However, there are others, like me, the ones who begin faster, get tired, battle emotions of giving up, and yet, overcome fear with the courage to finish and cross the line, those who triumph over all odds, for somehow, it is these unforeseen struggles, which when overcome, makes the run memorable.

No comments: